Saturday, March 12, 2011

Botswana - Day 3

In the Delta.

An hour in the speed boat and then swapped to a mokoro ( a traditional canoe , made from a tree previously but now of fiberglass). Each had a poler and two passengers, our sleeping mats folded into comfortable seats , we laid back into them and off we went. There are small channels of water, quite shallow, with reeds on both sides . Our poler was a little inexperienced so we went into the reeds quite a lot. It was a magical experience especially at sunrise and sunset,narrow channels of water , tall reeds , blue and white water lilies , elephants in the distance, tiny frogs hugging the reeds, fish in the water and Jeevan by my side ( actually either behind or in front of me) .

We all got to take the mokoros out once we settled into our island. It is hard work, I was absolutely hopeless at it and poor Jeevan had to do it both ways ( he didn't even want to go in the first place), pure love.

Game walk in the evening, I had promised myself as a child that I would never go to a national park after being scared in a game walk and here I was not even in a park this time, going for a walk.

We saw hippos in a pool, we were lucky to be the first ones to get there so got quite a close look. Passed a few elephants.

Back to our island for dinner, as we are bushcamping there is no running water or proper toliets. There is hole dug out in the distance and the spade is to be taken as we go there, so if the spade is missing the toilet is occupied.

The rain at night really made it interesting, it is quite an experience but I don't think bush camping in the rain is my idea of fun.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment