Tuesday, September 27, 2011

USA - Washington DC - Day 1

27-09-2011

A day filled with monuments, a bit overcast with a few drizzles along the way but that didn't prevent the inspiring feel at some of the memorials, made me want to be a better person.

Started at the Capitol, beautiful building but we weren't allowed inside as we had bottles with us. Got to see the inside of the Supreme court, even the inside of a courtroom, they have lectures in there, skipped that.

Walked to the Washington monument, the walk reminds me a lot of Paris. Lots of joggers along the path, stopped at the Sculpture park along the way. A lot of Henry Moore's work in there, very easy to recognise.

The Washington monument is closed to the public for the rest of the year due to damage in the earthquake in August. There was a man at the top on the outside and a lot of newspeople following his every move.

Next were the war memorials, the World War II, the Korean war and the Vietnam war. The memorials were done well but obviously are not of any effect as America is at war again.

Lots of squirrels along the way, the cutest was one that ran and then flopped down on the stairs , literally went flat on the stairs.

The Lincoln monument was the busiest of the lot. I have seen this place so many times in movies that it doesn't feel new to me. Within my limited American history Abraham Lincoln is my favourite person so I really like this place.

Then we turned back and made our way to the Martin Luther King Jr monument, Franklin Roosevelt monument, George Mason monument (the most unkempt of the lot) and then the pretty Thomas Jefferson monument.

Last stop was the White house, maybe because it was from a bit of distance but it was not as overpowering as I had expected.

Had a great dinner at another friend of Jeevan's house.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. A very well written post. I had been there a couple of years back and reading your post made me actually revisit the place.

    shuchi
    http://s-lostinreverie.blogspot.com/
    www.kadambaby.com

    ReplyDelete