Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bolivia - Laguna Colorado

16-09-2011

Today was spent visiting the various lagoons around the area. Driving here makes me feel like I am in no man's land or the wild wild west and sometimes in Mars. There is hardly anybody else around , very rarely is another person sighted other than the other tour groups at the lagoons, no houses or shops for miles around. The mountains and the earth have a reddish hue, the shrubs are dry and spiky, the Llamas are bigger than the ones in Peru and called Yamas, the vicunas though are the same. It is really beautiful here.

The sun burns through the window panes but the wind outside chills to the bone, there is snow on the ground, more like frozen icicles. No longer will I associate flamingoes with the sun and beach for in the lakes with ice around are flamingoes in abundance. They are so pretty, the three varieties are easy to pick out from their different colored legs.

Stopped at some rock formations, the stone tree is the most famous of the lot. There was a small frozen bit of water where we could slide and pretend we were ice skating. At another set of rocks saw our first viscacha , looked like a rabbit to me.

Stayed at a very basic accommodation at Lake Colorado. Lake Colorado, the red lake, is actually red due to the red algae and plankton covering it's surface. It's 60 sq km in size but only 80 cm deep. Long walk to the viewpoint, though I hated the walk( any exertion when I an unwell makes me want to cry) it was worth it for the view. The lake is marvelous, again I have not seen anything like it.

It is so cold here, layered ourselves so well that all of us were too hot at night.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment