Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Peru- Inca Trail- Day 2

6-09-2011

Wayllabamba to Pacaymayo.

Today was the hard day. According to me if we can make it through this day then the rest is a breeze.

The first five kilometres is all uphill, gaining 1200 meters to reach the Dead woman's pass (4200meters). The pass is so named because from a distance it looks like a face and a breast( quite perky !) and there were bones of woman found there. It was tough as it was steps most of the way that were higher than regular steps ( some are made by the incas and others have been renovated by the incapables) . The guides made it easier on us by having regular breaks, catch our breath , regroup and then Vamos ( my favourite Spanish word- let's go).

The last bit of uphill to the pass, Jeevan and I held hands and did it at one go, took a while for the panting to stop but it was such a great feeling. That is the best thing I like about myself, I was so happy with our achievement that the toughness of the steps was already a distant memory (I guess that is what labour must be like). It was freezing cold there and we were lucky to get a clear view all around because by the time the rest of the group arrived it was shrouded in fog. Waited for everybody to get a group picture, our whole group made it to the top which is just wonderful. Nobody suffered altitude sickness, yay for us.

Another 4 km to our campsite, 600 meters downhill. Jeevan was on the lookout for an Andean bear the whole time as there is a possibility of seeing them on this side of the mountain.

Reached at lunchtime, tired but oh so happy. The two of us dashed to have a quick shower. Never before have we experienced such a cold shower, we had been warned. It was freezing, just washing my face in it gave me brain freeze. After warming up I appreciated it's refreshing effect.

After lunch, we all relaxed in our tents. The tents are so thin and close together that every bit can be heard all around. Burps and farts are blamed on the altitude and it seemed a few people were having altitude problems.

Evening tea consisted of warm buttery popcorn and cheese wantons. Played a dice game, ambition/ greed. I got the least points, too greedy I guess.

Listening to our neighbours had us giggling when we went to sleep. The girl is so cold at night that she layers and wraps prior to entering her sleeping bag and then grunts as she tries to get in, all of which we can hear. We have been lucky so far our sleeping bags are super warm though I have been using my camelbak filled with hot water as a warming device at the start of the night.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment