Thursday, July 14, 2011

Scotland - Edinburgh- Day 2

7-07-2011

The Royal Mile, from the castle to the palace, was an interesting walk, so much history in that one road. Learnt about William Brodie ( the inspiration for Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) and even had breakfast at his old workplace. Visited beautiful St. Giles cathedral, rubbed the toe of Hume's statue for knowledge, spat ( really tiny amount ) at the heart of Midlothian for good luck , visited the various Lands, passed house and the modern parliament, overall enjoyed ourselves. Could not visit the palace as the Queen was in residence or walk to Arthur's seat due to the wet weather.

Then went around in the hop on hop off tour bus, first listened to the regular stories including the impressive story of the loyal dog. The next round we heard the horrible histories, I sat next to my grandmother and made her listen to it as well, I laughed so much just watching her face. I think I am going to be disowned shortly.

Climbed the tower at the Walter Scott memorial with my mother. Good to see her doing the 250-300 steps, actually was quite claustrophobic at times with the narrow stairs and the sloping in walls. Good views from the top especially of tiny Jeevan and Nannie below.

Rest of the day was spent at the National Gallery, had a good collection of Albrecht Durer's work. The more I see the more I want to learn.

There is so much more to see and do here but the two days have been fun filled.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment